C’mon…Couldn’t We All Just Brush a Little Better?
According to researchers, only 10 percent of the population brushes their teeth correctly. Let’s improve the score in Maine! Below are Falmouth Dental Arts’ top tips for brushing properly.
Top Brushing Tips:
- Use a smaller, rather than a larger toothbrush. Electric is best! The more comfortable the brush feels to you, the more likely you are to use it twice a day.
- A soft-bristled brush (and a gentle hand) is best, as it will safe your sensitive gum tissue from being brushed away.
- Spend about two minutes brushing. Take your time and thoroughly, yet gently clean the top right, bottom right, top left and bottom left sections of your teeth.
- Holding your brush at a 45-degree angle will hit the high spots as well as the hard to reach ones, such as where tooth meets gum.
- Brush the inner surfaces of your teeth and your tongue for a thorough job.
- After brushing, be sure to rinse away all of the bacteria now floating around in your mouth. Rinse your toothbrush head as well.
- Change your toothbrush or brush head about every three months, or less if it begins to looked frayed. If it’s in bad shape, it won’t clean effectively.
- But before you begin brushing, make sure you floss! Flossing once a day helps keep bacteria from forming in those hard to reach places that are immune to brushes.
Would you like a one-on-one brushing demonstration? Just let your hygenist know during your next appointment, or call our office at 207.781.5900 to schedule an appointment. We’re here to help you help your teeth!